Job offer 46/22
To build a global biodata resource center
the Leibniz Institute DSMZ-German Collection of Microorganisms and Cell Cultures GmbH establishes an integrated suite of scientific databases of fundamental relevance for the life sciences. The databases include BRENDA, SILVA, LPSN, BacDive and TYGS which are developed in a highly coordinated manner. A dedicated team of 22 scientists and software engineers builds a common research data infrastructure to significantly improve the access to a plethora of curated and standardized biological data. The resulting data platform DSMZ Digital Diversity will provide an integrated resource and will allow to link and comprehensively analyze the different types of scientific data from all domains of life sciences. For more information visit stb.dsmz.de.
Web Developer (m/f/d)
The position has a salary level up to TV-L 13 according to the qualification. The position is offered as full time (39.8 hours per week) and is initially limited to 2 years (after which this will become a permanent position).
SILVA provides comprehensive quality checked ribosomal RNA reference sequence databases and accompanying web services and tools. Our datasets are used by thousands of researchers worldwide as a basis for their research. Therefore, quality is an extremely important part of all our work, including the software development behind SILVA.
As a member of the SILVA software developer team, you will be responsible for the development, migration, and maintenance of our websites and webapps. These include the SILVA website, parts of the DSMZ Digital Diversity platform, the Taxonomic Curation Platform as well as internal websites and webapps.
- Developing new features for the services
- Extending or improving existing features of the services or eliminating bugs
- Improving the quality of the services by developing unit and integration tests
- Adopting the services to new input and output formats to serve the needs of the scientific community
- Adopting the services to new technical and security standards
- Supporting our data curators by providing data and / or software tools
- Writing technical documentation and user guides
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience in software development /Diploma or Master’s degree is beneficial
- Fluent in English / knowledge in German is beneficial
- 5+ years of software development experience, or 3+ years with an advanced degree
- Quality-orientation and desire to follow coding-styles as well as UI/UX best practices
- Prior real-world experience and demonstrable knowledge in Typescript, HTML, CSS/SASS, React, PHP and GIT
- Experience in creating accessible websites/webapps
- Ability to effectively communicate with non-technical team members
- Willingness to undergo regular further training
- Willingness to undertake occasional business travel
- An interdisciplinary working environment with frequent exchange of experience
- Direct involvement in building a research data infrastructure
- Motivated colleagues and a pleasant working atmosphere in the scientific area
- Plenty of room for creativity & challenging topics
- Participation in the selection of personal hardware
- Flexible working hours without core working hours, possibility of home office
- Opportunities for further education and training
- An employer certified according to audit berufundfamilie®, therefore flexible possibilities to combine work and family life
This position can be located in Bremen or Braunschweig, Germany.
The DSMZ is funded by the State of Lower Saxony and the German Federal government and is a member of the Leibniz Association. The DSMZ strives to increase the proportion of female scientists and encourages female candidates to apply. Disabled applicants with identical technical and personal qualifications will be preferentially selected. The DSMZ is an equal opportunity employer, supports balanced work-life career development, and holds the certificate of the audit berufundfamilie®.
For further information please contact Lorenz Reimer (lorenz.reimer(at)dsmz.de). Please send your complete application documents including a CV, motivation letter, copies of certificates with application number 46/22 as a single pdf file to bewerbung(at)dsmz.de (max 10 MB).
Applications are welcome in English or German and will be accepted on a rolling basis so early applicants are encouraged!
The deadline for this application is January 6th, 2023, but we may continue to review applications until the position is filled.