Delivery to Australia, Canada, and USA

The importation of biological material is subject to various national and international provisions. Thus DSMZ is neither in the position nor able to influence these processes in any way. The customer is required to inform himself of the respective import provisions and laws determined by his country (for a few tipps see below).  The DSMZ assumes no liability for legal violations or breaches of duty by the customer.


For the import of cell lines into Australia a permit is required (Quarantine Act 1908 sect 13). Please apply to the AQIS (Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service) at the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry; phone: +61-2-6272-4578, fax: +61-2-6249-1798 and forward us a copy. One problem of shipping cell lines from Germany to Australia is the transport. To organize long distance transport a suitably experienced courier service is essential. Please contact us prior to ordering. Due to a possible prolonged transit time cells may not survive the transport. While we always endeavour to provide best quality material and detailed cell culture advice (on our website), we cannot replace such cell lines should growth prove unsatisfactory.


Most DSMZ cell lines do not require a Health Canada Import Permit. However, general information can be obtained from the Animal Health Division, Food Production and Inspection Branch, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Ottawa. Information may also be obtained at: Office of Biosafety, Laboratory Centre for Disease Control; phone: +1-613-957-1779.

United States of America: USDA permit and TSCA certificate

The import of biological materials is regulated by United States Federal Law. Scientists in USA requiring human or rodent DSMZ cell lines may not require an import permit. The USDA may be contacted for specific information: Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services (APHIS), U.S. Department of Agriculture, Veterinary Services National Center for Import and Export, Import/Export Products, 4700 River Road, Unit 40, Riverdale MD 20737-1231;; phone: +1-301-734-3277.
Imports of biological materials must also comply with the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) in order to enter the U.S.  Importers must provide such a document (“negative certification”) upon entry in the U.S. For information you may contact the TSCA Assistance Officer, Washington, D.C. (phone 202 554 1404) at your Environmental Protection Agency (