Plant viruses are pathogens and the diseases they cause present serious impediments to the cultivation of crops worldwide, threaten the harvest, the supply of food and the livelihood of many people.
- supporting the production of healthy plants and seeds free of viruses,
- safeguarding the exchange of germplasm across borders and continents,
- providing the best expert knowledge to guide disease interventions and virus control.
To this effect, we
- monitor the “emerging” virus diseases of world crops,
- characterize the viruses,
- develop diagnostic reagents and methods for early warning and prevention,
- study the etiology of the virus diseases,
- seek control options.
Systematics of Plant Viruses
Molecular Plant Virology
- Cassava brown streak viruses
- Virus and vector elements governing circulative and non-circulative transmission of plant viruses
- International networks (Q-bank, PHBN)
- International collection research projects (EVA-GLOBAL, Virus Curate)