Plant Viruses are pathogens and the diseases they cause present serious impediments to the cultivation of crops worldwide, threaten the harvest, the supply of food and the livelihood of many people.
- supporting the production of healthy plants and seeds free of viruses,
- safeguarding the exchange of germplasm across borders and continents,
- providing the best expert knowledge to guide disease interventions and virus control.
To this effect, we
- monitor the “emerging” virus diseases of world crops,
- characterize the viruses,
- develop diagnostic reagents and methods for early warning and prevention,
- study the etiology of the virus diseases,
- seek control options.
Virus ecology & diversity
Virus genes and genomes